Actian PSQL v12 Product Information
Click For PSQLv12 Product Data Sheet
Click for Online Database Defragmenter Data Sheet
Click for AAP for PSQL Data Sheet
The Actian PSQL v12 product line was released on December 17, 2014. Like previous versions like Actian PSQL v11 and older, PSQL v12 is available for Windows in both 32-bit and 64-bit levels. The Linux engine was released in April 2015 in a 64-bit version only. AuditMaster has been released, but we are still waiting for a compatible version of DataExchange.
Here is a list of the most important new features in this release:
- Online Database Defragmenter: Most PSQL administrators are familiar with the venerable "Rebuild Utility", which can both reclaim deleted space and shrink index structures to their most optimal state. New with PSQLv12 is the ability to run this process on "live" files -- while the system is in use! This important new feature will allow you to maintain your database, even in 24x7 operational environments like airlines and health care!
- More Unicode Support: As applications increasingly must perform correctly in the global marketplace, support for the full Unicode character space is more and more important. PSQLv12 adds even more Unicode support to the engine, including new SQL data types NCHAR, NVARCHAR, and NLONGVARCHAR, a new ODBC driver for Unicode applications, and support for Unicode in various utilities like BDU, PCC, and the Query Plan Viewer.
- Rebranding: Although the product has been called Actian PSQL for a long time now, the dialog boxes and menus finally reflect this change. Additionally, the names of the services, the installation folder, and more are changing. This may be an issue for companies who support the PSQL environment, but not an issue for new installations.
- Easier Installation: PSQLv12 brings some new capabilities to ease installation. First, the Workgroup Engine will install as a service by default, eliminating the common Status 7224 error message when applying a license. Second, there will only be ONE Client installer, and it will be smart enough to install all applicable components -- eliminating the issue caused when users install the 64-bit Client and find that their 32-bit applications do not work.
- License Changes: There are two important licensing changes in the PSQL v12 release. First, *ANY* use of multiplexing (i.e. thin client solutions) or public web services will require a switch to the PSQL Vx licensing model, which is now licensed based on the size of the database only. (Note that PSQL Vx may offer a lower cost for some sites, as well.) Second, and perhaps more importantly, all PSQL v12 and PSQL Vx Server 12 licenses will no longer be tied to the entire hardware fingerprint of the server -- but ONLY the machine name. This makes all the v12 engines hypervisor-friendly for use in virtual machines and full-server failover environments! In a third change related to licensing, the PSQL Vx Server 12 engine no longer requires constant internet access to stay activated.
- Developer-Level Updates: Software developers now have access to the ADO.NET v4.1 drivers (though 3.2 and 3.5 have been eliminated), new features through JDBC and ODBC for Unicode, and PDAC components for design-time (32-bit) and runtime (32 and 64-bit).
- High-Speed Reporting: PSQL v12 Server Engine licenses also include a license to install the Actian Analytics Platform for PSQL. This new reporting solution leverages the eye-popping speed of Actian's Vector database engine and the fast data migration capabilities of Actian Dataflow (formerly DataRush) to bring incredible, high-speed reporting and analytics to your PSQL environment. The included license provides a whopping 1TB limit and no user count restrictions, so you can use it for all of your reporting needs.
- 64-Bit Linux Engine ONLY: Actian has made a decision to release ONLY a 64-bit version of the PSQL v12 Server Engine for Linux. As such, PSQLv12 is NOT supported on 32-bit Linux installations. This new release will include all 64-bit utilities , as well. Users needing to run 32-bit applications on their Linux server can ALSO download and install the "Client Access" components, which will support running 32-bit applications on the 64-bit environment.
- Windows 10 Support: On October 22, 2015, Actian announced support for PSQL v12 on Windows 10. All editions of PSQL v12 include support for Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Enterprise 2015 LTSB. The Workgroup Engine and PSQL Client are also supported on Windows 10 Home Edition.
- Mac OS X Support: In September 2015, Actian announced support for PSQL v12 Server Engines running on the Mac OS X platform. Support is currently available for v10.9 and v10.10 of OS X. Please note that Goldstar Software will be able to sell Mac licenses, but will not be able to provide any support for this platform, as we have no expertise with this OS at this time.
- Standalone Server License: In February 2016, Actian announced a new Standalone Server Engine license for PSQL v12. This 1-User Server Engine is NOT expandable like other Server Base licenses, as it does NOT accept any user count increases, so it is somewhat limited in that regard. If you think you might need to add more users in the future, then the 32-bit Workgroup Engine may be a better option for you. However, if you have a 64-bit operating system and you want the extra security and features of a true Server Engine, or if you want the performance gains to be had with access to more than 4GB of memory for the database engine and cache, this is for you! The Standalone Server Engine is ideal for developer workstations with lots of memory, and the extra performance will certainly be noticed. Still not sure? Check out our Server vs. Workgroup comparison chart.
- Windows Server 2016 Support: On November 8, 2015, Actian announced support for PSQL v12 on Windows Server 2016. All editions of PSQL v12 are now supported on this operating system!
Download your 30-day TRIAL from Actian's PSQL v12 Web Site now.
Important Note: Officially supported operating systems include Windows Vista and newer, and Windows Server 2008 and newer only. Windows XP, Server 2003, and older operating systems are not supported in this release! This does not mean that they will not work (though we know that Windows 2000 will not even accept the install), but only that they have not been tested and will not be supported by Actian. For minimum hardware and OS requirements, check the Actian PSQL v11/v12 Hardware Requirements page for more details.
If you're not sure if you want the Workgroup Engine or the Server Engine, check out this comparison chart.
We expect application vendors to announce support for Actian PSQL v12 soon after its release. If you are not sure, check our Application Support pages or contact your application vendor directly.
Pricing can be found on our Actian PSQL v12 price list, or you can BUY IT NOW from our on-line store.
If you want to try it out before you buy it (a really good idea!), you can get a downloadable trial license of PSQLv12 from Actian's Web Site.
[Expand Entire Page... ]
[Collapse Entire Page... ]
[+] Actian PSQL v12.10 (SP1)...
Released in June 2016 (and re-released in July 2016), the SP1 (Service Pack 1) product build offers a some important new features to users of PSQLv12. This release includes the following changes:
- Automatic Defragmentation: Expanding on the PSQL v12 Online Database Defragmenter, this new feature allows you to configure your system to automatically defragment your larger files every day, as they get more and more fragmented.
- Disk Space Monitoring: If the ODD detects that disk space is running low, it will now cancel defragmentation automatically.
- Unicode Support: Additional support for NCHAR fields in the PCC, as well as come new collation capabilities have been added for international developers.
- SDK Updates: Updates were released for the ADO.NET, JDBC, JCL, and PDAC drivers.
- Windows Server 2016 Support: SP1 has been tested and is supported on Windows Server 2016.
This is a free patch upgrade to previous versions of PSQLv12. Users of PSQLv11 and earlier can purchase a paid upgrade at a discount.
If you are running the v12.00 code (FCS), then we strongly recommend upgrading to the latest patches, if possible.
Download the PSQL v12.10 Install Media. (Login Required)
[+] Actian PSQL v12.00 (FCS)...
Released on December 17, 2014, the FCS (First Customer Ship) product build offers a lot of new features to users of older PSQL versions.
This release includes the following features:
- Online Defragmenter: You can now rebuild database files live, while the system is running, enabling rebuilds to comoplete in even the most demanding 24x7 environments!
- Easier Installation: PSQL v12 installation has been revamped, making it easier than ever to install the right components, every time.
- License Enforcement: Relaxed license enforcement means that PSQL v12 works better than ever on virtual machines!
This is a paid upgrade to previous versions (PSQLv11 and earlier).
Download the PSQL v12.00 Install Media. (Login Required)
[+] Frequently Asked Questions About Actian PSQL v12...
Q: Does Actian have an official PSQLv12 FAQ or README File?
A: Yes. Get Actian's PSQL v12 FAQ or Actian's PSQL v12 READMEnow.
Q: My vendor doesn't support the new version yet. What can I do?
A: You can still purchase Pervasive PSQL v11, which is supported through June 30, 2016. Then, you can choose to upgrade the engine later on, if needed.
Q: Is Actian PSQL v12 backward compatible with my older applications?
A: Officially, 16-bit applications are no longer supported. You may be able to get around this by using our special Requester Patch Pack (scroll all the way down).
Q: If my application worked on PSQLv11, will it work on v12?
A: It is always a good idea to test your own applications. Most new features can easily be ignored by older applications. One noted issue may result due to discontinuing of older ADO.NET drivers. If your application is hard-coded to asn older version, it may break. If the application uses the latest ADO drivers, then it should work just fine.
Q: Are all of the Ecosystem products (AuditMaster, DataExchange, Backup Agent) supported on Actian PSQL v12?
A: Not all versions are supported. See our Ecosystem pages for Backup Agent, AuditMaster, and DataExchange for details on compatibility for each product.
Q: Is Actian PSQL v12 supported on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2?
A: Yes! PSQLv12 will run on these newer operating systems.
Q: Is there a Voluntary Product Accessibility Template for Actian PSQL v12?
A: Yes! Here is the VPAT document, often needed for US Government buyers.
[Expand Entire Page... ]
[Collapse Entire Page... ]
If you have additional questions about the product, please contact us!